Packing for a safari requires proper planning. Please keep in mind the weight restrictions of the airline that you are flying with, as well as what you will need while on safari. There is a daily laundry service in camp. All clothing should be in neutral colors (khaki green tones). We recommend that the boots/shoes you bring are worn-in and comfortable for walking.
Here is what we recommend you bring
- Warm Jacket
- Warm Sweater or Polar Fleece
- Comfortable slacks or hunting trousers (60%-100% cotton)
- Comfortable slippers
- Running shoes or ankle high boots for hunting
- Hiking/sport socks
- Shirts; (cotton or linen) lightweight and short sleeved
- Cap or hat
- Insect repellent with DEET
- Sunscreen lotion
- Binoculars (8x40)
- Belt and ammunition pouch
- Pocket knife & sharpener
- Camera equipment (including film, lenses, spare battery)
- Light Day Pack
While you are preparing for your safari, you may like to do some background reading on hunting and East Africa. There are of course many, many books, here are just a few that we recommend:
- The African Hunter by James Mellon
- The Perfect Shot by Kevin Robertson
- Safari Rifles by Craig Boddington
- Safari by Bartle Bull
- Use Enough Gun by Robert Ruark
- Green Hills & Africa by Ernest Hemmingway
- Tanzania Safari by Brian Herne
- Uganda Safari by Brian Herne
Tanzania is a malaria zone country, we strongly advise that you seek the advice of your local medical officer as to what the currently prescribed anti-malarial drugs are and current innoculation requirements. Each of our camps has a comprehensive first aid kit, but if you are taking specialized medication please bring it with you.
Please ensure that you check with your travel agent about visa requirements. Visas can be obtained on arrival for citizens of certain countries, but it is advisable to obtain your visa prior to travelling.
Tanzania Shillings. You can exchange money at the airport on arrival or at your hotel. Ensure that you carry travellers cheques also, as many places will not accept credit cards.